Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A New Attitude

I have come to a realisation recently. As a self confessed Celtic supporter, I am too quick to criticise players and managers of Celtic FC.

I have supported Celtic since I was a toddler in Scotland. I am now in my 56th year (work it out). I've seen some of the best Celtic players of all time (The Lisbon Lions, Tommy Burns - God bless him, Danny McGrain, Paul McStay, Kenny Dalglish, Charlie Nicholas and Henryk Larsson) and I've seen some of the middling and some of the very worst. But I have always been FOR the team and the managers - even the likes of Macari, Brady and Barnes had me on their side for most of the time. They were managers of Celtic - MY team!

Recently, I have become embroiled in discussions with other fans about Lenny and his coaching team and the current crop of players. I found myself criticising things that don't matter, as I did with Mowbray, Strachan, MON and every manager before them apart from Wim Jansen and The Great Jock Stein.

I'm not going to do it anymore! Don't get me wrong - theirs plenty of things I think are wrong with the club and the team at the moment - but I don't want to criticise anymore. I'm not going to be one of those happy-clappy fairweather fans who think we're the greatest club in the world - as long as we are winning.

Celtic are MY team. Always have been, always will be - that's the way it is. Despite the trials and turmoil - the pish poor performances and tactical decisions, and despite the knuckledragging attitudes of many of those around me during discussions, I am proud of Celtic, proud that I have only ever supported Celtic and proud that I have realised that loyalty, passion and love of The Celtic Way are what makes them MY team. And if anyone wants to fight about it - go somewhere else. I rest my case. If you don't like it, you can GIRFUY!

No comments:

Post a Comment