Wednesday, December 1, 2010

There's Something Wrong Here!

I was just pondering how much more money I'd have under my mattress if it weren't for banks.

I just went overdrawn today becausegot charged for using my eftpos card too many times in the last month. I didn't go overdrawn - until the bank applied their charges at midday.

For the last however long time it is, every wednesday, at 9pm my paltry pittance is deposited into my bank by my employer. And once a month, on seemingly random days around 4 weeks apart, sometimes on a monday, sometimes on a friday or any day in between, the bank apply the charges and I always seem to be left owing them money, even though I don't spend all of my income.

I don't begrudge banks, or any business making a fair profit, but I have a couple of questions for bankers:

1) While my money is sitting in your vaults, you make profit from it by using it for spot transactions that make you profit. Where is my share ?

2) Is it really very difficult for you to apply charges at the same time on the same day of each charging period ?

It would be a lot easier for me if I knew exactly when the charges would be applied, and easier for you, because your customers would be more prepared for them.

Workers used to be paid directly, in cash when I was a younger man. There was nothing like the proportion of personal debt that is prevalent in society now. Nor was there the number of banks failing every year. What has changed since then ?

Why is it necessary for people to be paid for the work they do via a bank ? Why can they not be given the money in their hand, and let them choose what to do with it ?

It's a fair question and it has never really been answered properly by anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment